Traveling during the week doesn’t allow me to cook much… but on weekends its all I like to do! My partner doesn’t seem to mind as he gets fed well.
I was looking through the refrigerator and had a few vegetables and found some inspiration (based on some cooking in my motel during the week and from a recent visit to P.F Changs!) and decided to make some lettuce cups. I also wanted to try cooking with diet cola again (as I was liking this as a replacement for sweet soy sauce.)
Now I am thinking of other cola recipes I can try!
Chicken and Leek Lettuce Cups
Prep time: 5 mins, Cooking time 15 Mins. Serves 2
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup leeks (sliced)
6 button mushrooms (sliced)
1/2-1 tsp chilli and lime seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 chicken breast (skin removed and cut into strips)
300ml diet cola
1 cup spinach
4-6 iceburg lettuce leaves (washed)
- Heat oil in a medium heat in a large non stick frypan
- Add leeks, mushrooms, garlic powder and chilli and lime seasoning, cook until vegetables are starting to soften.
- Push vegetables around the edge (or remove from pan depending on how big it is) and add chicken.
- Lightly brown chicken and then add cola.
- Place a low/medium heat until chicken is cooked.
- If cola is reducing quickly add more until chicken is cooked.
- Once chicken is cooked and sauce is reduced mix vegetables back into the centre (or add back in) and stirfy until combine and sauce is a how you like it. I make mine a little saucy!
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Place lettuce leaves on a serving plate and add some spinach and then chicken mixture. Depending on how much filling you would like you may use 2-3 lettuce cups per person.
- Serve immediately!